A dedicated server is a computer that its hardware components are more advanced and sophisticated compared to home computer and is stored on a data center, in server cabinets of the storage provider, and designed to provide computing services which are stronger than average. Dedicated server also different in type of software installed on it, which designed specifically to handle advanced hardware and run complex processes. Operating a Dedicated Server, requires thorough technical knowledge in the fields of computer communications, infrastructure, Internet communications, hardware and software.
Structure and configurations of dedicated server
Standard dedicated servers which designed for storage cabinets, are manufactured in units and represented by the letter U. The size of 1U server is 44.45 mm. It is designed to suite exactly in the servers cabinet. Each U is actually the height, for example, 2U height is 88.9 mm.
The Price depends on the amount of servers - U, that you want to store in the servers cabinet. As the height rises, it reflects directly on the costs, since it requires more cooling air, more power supply, and more physical space on the servers cabinet.
U - standard servers exists in several configurations:
1U, 2U, 3U, 4U. 4U server is equivalent to TOWER server and its height is equivalent to the height of home computer. Servers cabinets are designed precisely for storing U servers and manufactured in configurations of 40U to 44U, which means that you can store 40 U servers in one servers cabinet of type 40U.
Who needs a dedicated server?
Dedicated server used mainly by businesses with complex website, advanced websites applications which require high volumes of web traffic and bandwidth. and any other Internet service that its technical demands exceeds what a Reseller account or VPS can provide.
(* It is recommended to get advice from a WEBSTUFF expert when selecting hardware before purchasing a private dedicated server - WEBSTUFF experts will assist you to select the best solution which matches your technical specifications).
Advantages of a private dedicated server
- Maximum security - a server which is dedicated for you and can be precisely tailored to your specific security needs.
- Maximum flexibility - There is only one flexibility limit in dedicated server and it is the initial characterization of the hardware and software (but the server can be upgraded at any given time).
- Optimal performance - All hardware components are dedicated exclusively for your use only, so the entire server force can be dedicated to achieve your goal.
- Customizable Installation / Configuration - Option of installation any component, application, or software which your server characterization can support.
- Unlimited web traffic - a dedicated server, in most cases, is not limited in monthly traffic, as opposed to Shared Hosting or Reseller accounts.
Disadvantages of a dedicated server
One of the main disadvantages of a dedicated server is the cost of acquisition and its maintenance. The cost of a dedicated server is much higher than the cost of collaborative server, virtual server (VPS) or Reseller hosting plan. It also requires a deep technical understanding in the area of servers, Internet communications, infrastructure, hardware and software.
What are the characteristics that should be checked before purchasing a dedicated server?
1. Hardware specification
2. Recommended operating systems for dedicated servers and private servers
3. Managed server or self - managed server
4. Importance of bandwidth in dedicated servers
5. Security and Firewall
6. Backup / Restore Options
7. Dedicated server remote access options
8. Monitoring Services
9. IP Addresses
10. Data center security
11. Support and Service - SLA